Here are some ideas and instructions on how to make a needle felted hedgehog. I love hedgehogs they have such adorable faces and make me remember books and stories which I read as a child. Hedgehogs are always something I enjoy making and teaching others how to make. I really like cute little hoglets which can be held in the palm of your hand and more whimsical hedgehog figures which have outfits and props. I have created a few different designs for my hedgehogs over the years. I will share two different constructions styles and also photos of some the different ones I have made. Enjoy!
How to make a needle felted hedgehog version 1
- Start with some core wool and wind with wool yarn into a tight ball the size you would like for the body.
- Using some natural white or cream fleece cover the ball in a thin layer and needle felt to create an egg like shape.
- Using brown or grey fleece create the top coat leaving an area of white for the face and tummy.
- Add ears and feet in a lighter brown.
- Create a nose using lighter brown and dark brown and needle felt to secure in place.
- Add beads for eyes.
How to make a needle felted hedgehog version 2
- Fold a pipe cleaner in half and cover the middle section with dark brown fleece and needle felt in place.
- Bend the pipe cleaner to create a body shape and secure.
- Wrap the body with white or cream fleece and needle felted to secure.
- Create a fleece pad by rolling the some more fleece and secure this onto the body shape and then needle felt in place.
- Add some more layers of white fleece to the body to create the desired shape. do not add fleece to the underneath as you will create a ball!
- Nose, cover the nose with some pale brown fleece.
- Create a roll of dark fleece and attach this around the neck and secure well.
- Now you can cover the body with the dark fleece and create the shape of your cute hedgehog. Remember not to add any to the underneath this should remain white.
- Add ears, feet and beaded eyes.
These are other hedgehogs I have made. You can always add scarves, hats and other props to make your animal sculptures individual. check out my ETSY shop https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/DottyaboutvintageCo or contact me if you would like details of workshops or to purchase any of my individual animal sculptures.